Gadget (#15215)
November 15th, 2016 5:14 PM
You have done it: you've defined your breed standard, and are breeding towards it with everything you've got. Files and files of detailed notes, and you can't seem to remember everything perfectly, but that's okay... until you fudge up a MAJOR characteristic early on and now there's no escape!

Enter "Show my Standard". It's a button you press on the summary page (must be done manually, to prevent it from lagging the site) and it shows the breed standard you chose in a dropdown against the summary the dog has, so you can view the ranges that are acceptable for your in-development breed.

Prerequisites to this being usable: User must have a pre-defined breed standard they've created (not pending, a draft is all you need, as the feature works for development*). The draft MUST belong to that user. The user must also be upgraded, as this only works on Summaries.

The existing purple bars would be overlaid with orange or blue, showing the desired range, or else the blue bar could be below it. It'd show the mix/max for each trait.

I honestly think this would be a great addition to Dynasty for those struggling to create their own breeds.

*a pending draft can also be used, for those who wish it.

Q and A:
Why is this upgrade only?
-It only works on important information, and therefore it must be used with Summaries. Chances are your summary is going to contain the breed standard traits already. (This also helps it to reduce the number of potential display errors.)

If a trait does not have any selected values on the draft, what happens?
-It will display all possible traits as the selected values.

What if I change my draft?
-It will pull the new information automatically, since you select the draft you want to use before hitting "Show my Standard".

Amity (#14234)
November 15th, 2016 5:17 PM
o.o We NEED this for creating a breed. It would make it so much easier to test dogs bred vs. the standard of the breed. 110% Support! Great Idea Gadget!

wrendoe (#7592)
November 16th, 2016 12:44 AM
Definitely like the idea of comparing to a set standard lol. I suggested something like this a while ago but for some reason it wasn't well received.

The only difference with my suggestion was that it works like registering a dog works now, where you click "register dog" and instead of just "choose a breed" there are 2 options "choose a breed" and "choose a draft" where all your drafts are listed. The results would be the same too: "Sorry, this dog does not fall under the breed standard for this breed. They have failed the following characteristics..." and just a list.

Definitely not as detailed as yours but imo once you know what the issues are and what doesn't fit it takes very little energy to look at your notes, look at the dog, and realize whats up and fix it.

Gadget (#15215)
November 16th, 2016 1:31 AM
I didn't look back through the ideas, Wren, so I didn't even see your idea. (This struck me when contemplating how to properly assign summaries to the right tabs.)

That's a valid point; the ability to compare to an existing breed would be good for outcrosses.

Wisteria (#34011)
July 27th, 2020 8:09 PM
Just found this while lurking around in the forums and I really think this should be Implemented

You must be Logged in to reply